1. What has been your favorite course of study in or out of school? Why?
I transferred here at the beginning of last year from an art school in Chicago called Columbia College. There I also studied film, but their program started reverse of CU's, so I began learning all digital media. I loved just being able to bring my laptop to class to learn about editing in Final Cut Pro and working with HD cameras that saved to tiny Panasonic memory cards. I also took a couple of audio classes that were fun and taught me a lot. I really enjoyed one project where we had to make a three minute comprehendable story using only sound effects and no voices.
I transferred here at the beginning of last year from an art school in Chicago called Columbia College. There I also studied film, but their program started reverse of CU's, so I began learning all digital media. I loved just being able to bring my laptop to class to learn about editing in Final Cut Pro and working with HD cameras that saved to tiny Panasonic memory cards. I also took a couple of audio classes that were fun and taught me a lot. I really enjoyed one project where we had to make a three minute comprehendable story using only sound effects and no voices.
2. How many pages was the longest paper you have written? Did it include endnotes and bibliography?
I believe the longest paper I've written was for a creative writing class I took at Columbia and it was roughly 15 pages with all the bells and whistles.
I believe the longest paper I've written was for a creative writing class I took at Columbia and it was roughly 15 pages with all the bells and whistles.
3. Which was your favorite paper? Please tell us about the topic in a couple of sentences.
My favorite paper that I've had to write was an homage paper at Columbia to someone who works in the field I wanted to focus on. I really want to go into editing, so I chose to write about Themla Schoonmaker, Martin Scorsese's personal friend and editor. It involved me watching a lot of movies they did and analyzing how the editing techniques she used enhanced his story telling. The Departed, Good Fellas, Raging Bull, and The Color of Money where the ones I chose to write about. I've since seen Shutter Island and also thought that was a great movie, if you guys haven't seen any of these I'd highly suggest them.
My favorite paper that I've had to write was an homage paper at Columbia to someone who works in the field I wanted to focus on. I really want to go into editing, so I chose to write about Themla Schoonmaker, Martin Scorsese's personal friend and editor. It involved me watching a lot of movies they did and analyzing how the editing techniques she used enhanced his story telling. The Departed, Good Fellas, Raging Bull, and The Color of Money where the ones I chose to write about. I've since seen Shutter Island and also thought that was a great movie, if you guys haven't seen any of these I'd highly suggest them.
4. Is there a particular kind of writing you love to do?
My mom always told me that I was great at poety as a kid and should keep it up. I don't do it often, but sometimes I write a little something for her. Other than poetry, I guess I like to write about other people and analyze their work and opinions. I like to research them, because often the person is not someone I know much about, and I feel like randomly the information you learn then somehow makes a connection or return later in life.
My mom always told me that I was great at poety as a kid and should keep it up. I don't do it often, but sometimes I write a little something for her. Other than poetry, I guess I like to write about other people and analyze their work and opinions. I like to research them, because often the person is not someone I know much about, and I feel like randomly the information you learn then somehow makes a connection or return later in life.
5. Which books have you read lately: art, fiction, non-fiction, sci-fi, poetry, environmental, film? Any comments are welcome.
I unforunately am not a big reader, but I really trying to make a conscience effort to read more. I'm in the middle of a little novel called The Alchemist, though. My mom tried to get me to read it for years and I never would. Two winters ago I broke my hand snowboarding and ended up finishing it in two nights and loved it. It's a philosophical book about a shephard and his travels; the people he meets, the places he sees and the ups and downs along his journey to find his personal legend, or meaning in life.
I unforunately am not a big reader, but I really trying to make a conscience effort to read more. I'm in the middle of a little novel called The Alchemist, though. My mom tried to get me to read it for years and I never would. Two winters ago I broke my hand snowboarding and ended up finishing it in two nights and loved it. It's a philosophical book about a shephard and his travels; the people he meets, the places he sees and the ups and downs along his journey to find his personal legend, or meaning in life.
6. Which artist or writer really impresses you? Why?
Film editors really impress me. Directors get most of the fuss, but it's amazing how much the editing makes or breaks the telling of a story and making of a film. A lot of the kids who were directors that I worked with had some good ideas and knew what they wanted to shoot, but never really thought how it all needs to be put together. It also taught me a lot of what to look for when I film, and most importantly to just keep recording somethings.
Film editors really impress me. Directors get most of the fuss, but it's amazing how much the editing makes or breaks the telling of a story and making of a film. A lot of the kids who were directors that I worked with had some good ideas and knew what they wanted to shoot, but never really thought how it all needs to be put together. It also taught me a lot of what to look for when I film, and most importantly to just keep recording somethings.
7. What is your main interest besides writing, art, music, (i.e., the humanities)?
Snowboarding is my love and my passion. I know I'm not going to be infront of the camera, so I want to be behind it. I also love all outdoor activities and sports. I'm a die hard Chicago Cubs fan, so I love to go to games. Attending shows is also always a great time, I saw Pretty Lights at Red Rocks just before school; first show there...pretty epic!
Snowboarding is my love and my passion. I know I'm not going to be infront of the camera, so I want to be behind it. I also love all outdoor activities and sports. I'm a die hard Chicago Cubs fan, so I love to go to games. Attending shows is also always a great time, I saw Pretty Lights at Red Rocks just before school; first show there...pretty epic!
8. Please describe briefly an article in a newspaper or a magazine that got you thinking lately.
I read an article about a week ago about how HP is being forced to go under because they just can't compete with Apple anymore. I love Apple products and respect Steven Jobs, so keep up the great work.
I read an article about a week ago about how HP is being forced to go under because they just can't compete with Apple anymore. I love Apple products and respect Steven Jobs, so keep up the great work.
9. Which recent cultural event has really impressed you? This can be a museum, a concert, or anything like that, but also a sports game (if you consider this a cultural event, for which there are good reasons).
I am embaressed to say I didn't make it to a Cubs game this summer because (insert bad excuse here), but games one of my favorite past times. My grandaprents would always take me to games as a kid and I loved it. Now I can drink, which makes them all the better. I get to hang out with the bleacher bums and watch us lose, ha. It really is amazing the culture and tradition behind Wrigley Field and the Cubs though. Wrigley's one of the last standing original stadiums and the scoreboard is still man powered. The Cubs are also hold the record for longest time since winning a World Series, 103 years now. I'll back 'em until I die, and at that point still may not see a World Series, gotta love the goat.
I am embaressed to say I didn't make it to a Cubs game this summer because (insert bad excuse here), but games one of my favorite past times. My grandaprents would always take me to games as a kid and I loved it. Now I can drink, which makes them all the better. I get to hang out with the bleacher bums and watch us lose, ha. It really is amazing the culture and tradition behind Wrigley Field and the Cubs though. Wrigley's one of the last standing original stadiums and the scoreboard is still man powered. The Cubs are also hold the record for longest time since winning a World Series, 103 years now. I'll back 'em until I die, and at that point still may not see a World Series, gotta love the goat.
10. Is there another, non-cultural event that has affected you deeply.
My best friend and freshman roomate passed away this past April. It was a tragic and unbelievable accident. I went to New Hampshire at the beginning of the summer and was able to see all of his family and a lot of my friends from my freshman year in Salt Lake City. Ryan Bishop, love talking about that kid, that's why I wrote my first paper on him, I was thinking about getting a tattoo in his honor, ask me about it and help me decide if it's good.





11. Please share with us a thought or an idea that really widened your intellectual horizon. If possible, give a source for this idea so that those who are interested know where to go.
I actually really liked Connor's ending note, I really agree with it and had never heard it before, so scroll down and check it out.
My best friend and freshman roomate passed away this past April. It was a tragic and unbelievable accident. I went to New Hampshire at the beginning of the summer and was able to see all of his family and a lot of my friends from my freshman year in Salt Lake City. Ryan Bishop, love talking about that kid, that's why I wrote my first paper on him, I was thinking about getting a tattoo in his honor, ask me about it and help me decide if it's good.





11. Please share with us a thought or an idea that really widened your intellectual horizon. If possible, give a source for this idea so that those who are interested know where to go.
I actually really liked Connor's ending note, I really agree with it and had never heard it before, so scroll down and check it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment