1. What has been your favorite course of study in or out of school? Why?
Going through mostly lower-division requirements at this point, there aren't too many classes that I have taken that have truly inspired me. However, I just began this semester a course on 20th Century Architecture and I am quickly thinking that it will become my favorite thus far... I think architecture is so interesting!
2. How many pages was the longest paper you have written? Did it include endnotes and bibliography?
In high school, a 20-page cumulative paper including bibliography. However, it was split into different sections. I think that the longest paper I have ever written straight through was about 10 pages.
3. Which was your favorite paper? Please tell us about the topic in a couple of sentences.
Honestly, I haven't had to write a whole lot of papers thus far in my college career (most of my classes have been test-based) and the classes I did have to write essays in (philosophy), I disliked. I did in journalism write a short essay comparing and contrasting The Daily Show to regular news sources and I thought that was an interesting assignment.
4. Is there a particular kind of writing you love to do?
I don't really consider myself much of a writer, nor do I do it in my spare time. If I had to pick, I'd probably say opinion or research papers.
5. Which books have you read lately: art, fiction, non-fiction, sci-fi, poetry, environmental, film? Any comments are welcome.
Recently I have read A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving and Stiff by March Roach (non-fiction about what happens to cadavers). Both are very good!
6. Which artist or writer really impresses you? Why?
The two writers I mentioned in the last question are some of my favorites. John Irving's books are always sort of sagas and they are always wonderful. His characters have incredible character development and they are always very honest and make mistakes. I admire his writing for that. It is also just very original. Mary Roach, as a journalist, manages to take subjects that could very easily be boring and makes them funny and approachable.
As for artists, my favorite right now (and for the last few years) is John Dyer Baizley. He does incredible linework that I'm incredibly envious of--I love art with intricate details. He is the vocalist for a metal band called Baroness and along with designing all of their artwork he has done albums for other bands and has just branched out to create some awesome prints.
7. What is your main interest besides writing, art, music, (i.e., the humanities)?
I am pretty passionately involved in where I work, Radio 1190! So I suppose music definitely ties into that. I am passionate about a variety of things: concerts, mid-century design and architecture, architecture overall, the Internet... I also like to paint when I get around to it.
8. Please describe briefly an article in a newspaper or a magazine that got you thinking lately.
I read a TIME article recently called "Don't Blame Social Media for Social Unrest" that I appreciated. I've done a lot of work with social media at this point and I'm doing an internship in it as well. I think it's amazing to see how much social media has change our culture, for good or for bad. Though it was in many ways detrimental in the London Riots, it's incredible to see what it did for the Egypt uprisings. I appreciate that in the face of concerns (which I understand), this article put a positive spin on social media and reminded us of its potential for good.\
9. Which recent cultural even has really impressed you? This can be a museum, a concert, or anything like that, but also a sports game (if you consider this a cultural event, for which there are good reasons).
This summer I visited Chicago to go to Pitchfork Music Festival... that was pretty wonderful and full of people and exciting. However, what I want to discuss is when I went to the Art Institute there. They had a design exhibit that I thought was just wonderful. I think that the world of design (industrial and otherwise) is pretty wonderful and it was intriguing to see the innovation and steps forward that certain people are making within that world. I am very inspired by design and seeing this exhibit opened my eyes to seeing certain dilemmas in different ways.
10. Is there another, non-cultural event that has affected you deeply.
This is very cheesy, but my boyfriend! We have similar interests but they vary enough to introduce me to new things. I'm also just very happy and I definitely have a more optimistic outlook on life right now because of him.
11. Please share with us a thought or an idea that really widened your intellectual horizon. If possible, give a source for this idea so that those who are interested know where to go.
Honestly, I think that sometimes people forget the vast capability of the Internet to teach. Of course we all use it for Facebook, assignments like this, email, etc but when you go out there and avoid stupid blogs and look for really enriching content, there is so much to learn. There are plenty of reliable websites out there to teach you anything! There's always something new to be learned.
No comments:
Post a Comment